Tuesday, February 14, 2012

I (Heart) Balance (Day 30)

Dear Diary,

I have had so much trouble trying to decide what to post for today.  It's a big day.  The last day of our 30-day experiment.  I mean to say, the last of the FIRST 30 days.  So, what do I want my next 30 days to look like?

Maggie and another friend of mine (who's been on Paleo for 30 days) both experienced the same crazy sinus stuff.  Makes me wonder.  Is it too much?  Too fast?  Or exactly how your body should be reacting?  Just part of the cleansing?

As for me, I've had my ups and downs.  The hardest part for me is the time.  Shopping, chopping, cooking (and un-cooking)...and then ALL the clean up have become such a huge part of my life that I dream about food.  Literally.  Last night it was carrots and sweet potatoes.  My brand new dream kitchen is starting to show some major wear and tear.  My daytime SAHM social life is nearly non-existent.

BUT...but but but but...my family is SO MUCH healthier.  I'm worn out.  I'm confused.  But mostly I'm proud.  Shawn insists I have lost weight.  I don't see it but I can squeeze into even my tiniest jeans now so I guess something moved.  The kids and Shawn...that's what's been amazing...their diets have transformed.  They have transformed.

I am going to keep this thing going for another 30-days.  There are some variations that I'd like to try on a week-to-week basis and not commit to for the whole month.  For instance, one of the hardest things for me in terms of eating is the combine/miscombine thing.  I miss having fruit and grains.  And nut butters and grains.  I may experiment a little in intentional miscombing and report the results.  I'd like to re-read The Raw Food Detox Diet and do a week without coffee (eek!) or any dairy (no lattes, no goat cheese) and report those results.  I'd like to read a few other Raw books and see what their authors have to offer.

Also, I promised Shawn a Valentine's date to celebrate the end of this experiment, one at a regular restaurant, eating our old naughty food.  Don't worry, we're not going back to our old ways, just having one night at our mexican place, where even a "good" choice would make Natalia Rose cringe.  Will we wake up so miserable we'll swear off the naughty food for good?  Or, will we be fine as long as we start off the morning with Green Lemonade and get back on track?

I'm really hoping for the latter.  If this is going to be the New Normal, and it's really going to be a forever lifestyle change, I know I'll have a better chance of being successful if I am able to cheat once in a while (have birthday cake at my child's birthday party or get to visit our favorite pizza place every month or so).

I guess unintentionally, Maggie and I will be able to offer up some anecdotal evidence for both sides of the coin:  Maggie going full-steam ahead and seeing how her body responds to such purity and me, the rule-following, all-or-nothing gal, trying to find a way break the rules once in a while without sliding down that proverbial slippery slope.

As always, I'll keep you posted!

Much love,
Becky

2 comments:

  1. I want to applaud you for seeking your path down the middle of the road. I know what a challenge that can be, so I'm taking my hat off to you. Followed by a bow. And maybe a curtsey.

    How did last night's dinner go? Was it wonderful and did you have such a good time? Should I ask how you feel today?

    Following suit, Mark and I indulged in pizza last night and I followed up with one of my absolute favorite chocolates - a Fannie Mae dark chocolate buttercream. Oh, my gosh, it was divine. This, however, was followed by stomach cramps, which were NOT divine. So, was it the pizza or the sugar?

    I'm not going so far as to say that I'll never do that again, but I doubt I'll repeat it anytime soon. In the meantime, I'm back to juicing today and feeling pretty good. How about you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm .... I think that's 'May', isn't it. It's been so long since I've seen one of their boxes that I can't recall.

    ReplyDelete